Privacy at UWS
The University of Western Sydney is subject to the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act, 1998 (PPIPA). The Act provides a set of principles that public sector bodies, including universities must comply with. It regulates the collection, storage, use and disclosure of 'personal information'. The University is committed to fair information handling practices in all of its activities.
The University is also subject to the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (HRIPA) that has effect from 1 September 2004. This Act also operates by way of a set of defined principles that organisations must comply with in the collection, storage, use and disclosure of health information about individuals.
Hot Issues - Common Privacy Issues and Questions at UWS
The Hot Issues page gives practical advice on common privacy issues and questions that occur at the university.
A brochure is available for download for students who undertake placement or training in the health sector, as there are special requirements related to health service providers that these students will need to know. A copy of this brochure can be downloaded from the link below.
The privacy contact point is the Privacy Officer.
Students with general inquiries about their personal information held by the University should approach the Student Centre for their campus. Staff should contact the Office of Human Resources.
Privacy related policies and documents
Approved University policies and related documents relevant to privacy are as follows:
- Privacy Management Plan
- Disclosure and Use of Student Personal Information Guidelines
- Records Management Policy
- Information Security Policy
- Information about Health Privacy for UWS Students Undertaking Clinical Experience (PDF, 32Kb)
- Website Privacy Statement
- Privacy and You - Information for Students (PDF, 20Kb) (available at Student Centres)
- Privacy NSW Internal Review Checklist (MS Word, 77Kb)
A privacy training program is available for UWS staff to complete online, at MyCareer Online. Select Register Now to complete the training. For assistance with accessing the training program, go to How to Register for more information.
For more details about privacy training and any specialist needs contact the Privacy Officer.
Where a person believes that their privacy may have been, or is likely to be breached by the University they are able to seek an Internal Review in accordance with the procedures outlined in the Privacy Management Plan.
For further information you should consult the Privacy Management Plan. Download an Internal Review application form (PDF, 20Kb).
Directly Related Sites
- Choosing Your Path (Disclosure issues related to disability)
- Privacy NSW (NSW Government Privacy Agency)
- Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998
- Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002
- Other Sites of Interest on Privacy Issues
- Information about Health Privacy for UWS Students Undertaking Clinical Experience - PDF 36KB
- Privacy and You - Information for Students Brochure [Acrobat Document: 20Kb]
- Privacy NSW Internal Review Checklist [Acrobat Document: 102Kb]
- Privacy Complaint: Internal Review Application Form [Acrobat Document: 20Kb]
- Privacy Complaint: Internal Review Application Form (Word) [MS Word Document: 47Kb]