Mission, Goals and Strategic Plan
- UWS Plan: Making the Difference Overview (opens in a new window)(PDF, 112Kb)
- Online UWS Strategy and Plan 2010-2015: Making the Difference
UWS aspires to be a place that brings positive change in the lives of its students and a source of creativity and new knowledge that is relevant, robust and contributes to individual and community development.
The University’s place will be at the leading edge of knowledge, providing a contemporary education that builds successful lives and careers for our students and graduates, and conducting research that speaks to the development of urban and rural regions, the new economy, cultural life and professional development.
To be a university of international standing and outlook, achieving excellence through scholarship, teaching, learning, research and service to its regional, national and international communities, beginning with the people of Greater Western Sydney.
Bringing knowledge to life in Greater Western Sydney though community and business engagement with our learning and research.
- The primacy of the student experience
- Environmental and social responsibility
- A vibrant and inclusive intellectual community
- Opportunity and excellence
- Being connected locally and internationally
- Valuing and rewarding our staff
UWS has a shared and explicit set of values which underpin all that it does:
- excellence and quality in all endeavours
- scholarly rigour and integrity
- equity of access and inclusiveness
- collegiality and participatory decision-making
- academic responsibility and freedom
- relevance and responsibility to our communities
- ethics and accountability
Endorsed by the Board of Trustees, Making the Difference 2010-2015 is the cornerstone of UWS strategic planning and captures the key priorities to 2015. The Strategic Plan includes: focus areas for action; key performance indicators, and links to over 100 implementation projects. It is also linked to enabling plans (teaching and learning; research and community engagement) and to specific plans and KPIs for Divisions and Colleges.
Key Areas of Focus 2010-15
- Create a superior and engaged learning experience
- Develop focused, relevant and world-class research
- Build organisational and financial strength
Key Performance Indicators & Current Priorities
- Widening participation
- Student retention
- Research outcomes
- International students
- Postgraduate students
Below is a link to this electronic ‘plan on a page’. It is important to note some of the features of this MTD Online system.
Each section of the plan on a page links you to more detail on any area which you wish to pursue. For example you can click on:
- “Our vision” statement, “What we are” and “What we believe in” themes for greater detail.
- any of the five KPI areas at the base of the trapezium to see the targets for achieving these by 2015 across the University’s three Colleges.
- any one of the themes and strategies (‘what we will do’) to see how these are being implemented locally.
UWS Strategy & Plan 2010-15: Making the Difference (staff login required)
The Vice-Chancellor presented her annual address to the University’s Board of Trustees Strategy Day which was held on 8 June 2012.
The address titled “Young and Old: The Contest for Hearts, Minds and HECS” and provides a strategic overview of the changing climate faced by universities today and the future direction of UWS.
The paper can be found at the link below and may be distributed to members of external advisory committees or colleagues and regional partners as appropriate.
- SMC 2012 Vice-Chancellor Annual Presentation "Young and Old: The Contest for Hearts, Minds and HECS (staff login required) (opens in a new window) (PDF, 262Kb)
Vice-Chancellor's End of Year Report to the Board of Trustees
At the 21 November 2012 Board of Trustees meeting the Vice-Chancellor presented her end of year report. The report is available below:
- Vice-Chancellor's End of Year Report - 2012 (staff login required) (opens in a new window) (PDF, 2Kb)