Curriculum and Students
The University has a wide range of units of study, majors and submajors which focus on issues of social, economic and environmental sustainability. For example there are units of study and submajors which focus on Islamic Studies, corporate social responsibility, environmental law, green agriculture. For more information, please see UWS Course Units Focused on Sustainability (PDF, 219.92 KB) (opens in a new window).
Education for Sustainability (EfS)
Education for Sustainability is a lifelong learning process that leads to an informed and involved citizenry having the creative problem-solving skills, scientific and social literacy, and commitment to engage in responsible individual and cooperative actions. These actions will help ensure an environmentally sound and economically prosperous future.
Student and Education Projects
While UWS gives particular emphasis to sustainability in the curriculum at a unit, sub major and major level; UWS also gives focus to embedding sustainability in a range of transitional and teacher educator programs. The ALTC award winning UniStep Academic Literacy program run by the Learning and Teaching Unit uses sustainability readings each year to prepare approximately 300 students for university life. UniStep's Sustainability Group recently won the VC's Excellence award for excellence in University Sustainability.
Also, as the key areas of research focus at UWS indicate, there are many opportunities for research students to explore these issues. For more information, please see the Research Success website.
Social Engagement and Leadership Program (SELP)
SELP is a fantastic social engagement and leadership program open to UWS students, giving you a chance to build skills that will help jump start your global career. The program involves an orientation session will introduce you to what you will be doing over the five week program, as well as giving you the opportunity to meet with class colleagues from around the world.
For more information, visit the SELP website for workshop and program details.
Australian Learning and Teaching Council Turnaround Leadership for Sustainability in Higher Education project
UWS is the lead institution in an international study of successful leaders of Education for Sustainability (EfS). Read more about the ALTC Turnaround Leadership for EfS project (opens in a new window).
The study which is the focus of this report recognises that universities and colleges giving consistent and productive focus to the four pillars of social, cultural, economic and environmental sustainability in their teaching, research, engagement activities and operations will not just happen but must be led, and deftly; and it is this issue of effective approaches to ‘Turnaround Leadership for Sustainability in Higher Education’ that the study addresses.
Curriculum and Student initiatives at other universities and colleges
- The Australian government is currently commissioning a national stocktake of sustainability in the curriculum of Australian universities - for further details see Sustainable Education in Australian Universities (PDF, 4010.13 KB) (opens in a new window)
- Double degrees (example environmental law) - for example see University of Queensland (opens in a new window)
- Units of study available as electives - for example see Monash University (opens in a new window)
- Degrees focused specifically on sustainability - for example see Arizona State University (opens in a new window)
- Sustainable design - for example see Harvard University (opens in a new window)
- The involvement of students in community service projects in the area of sustainability - for example see Australian Youth Climate Coalition (opens in a new window)
- Green job training - for example see Illinois Government News Network (opens in a new window)
- The University of Gloucestershire (opens in a new window) has an institutional commitment to sustainability and embedding sustainability in the curriculum. The University of Gloucestershire was ranked number 1 in the Green People and Planet League of UK Universities in 2008 and strives for continuous improvement.
Curriculum and Student SURF Projects at other universities and colleges
- Student publications for environmental conservation and sustainability - developing on a similar program at Harvard University and the University of Delaware (opens in a new window), students can become involved in the promotion of conservation and sustainability through the production and cataloguing of publications (scientific, media and special interest). The key outcome is an easily accessible database with all relevant publications online, preventing the resource waste (environmental and financial) associated with hard-copies.
- Bridging the Skills Gap - Monash University has developed a mentoring program for undergraduate students in environmental related degrees. This program could be expanded upon to introduce sustainability issues to all undergraduate students, embedding sustainability into all programs. It may take the form of an online learning unit or development of an introductory lecture series for first year units.
If your area of UWS is addressing any of these areas or additional ones, please let us know by emailing email@example.com