Advanced Standing

Tertiary Education Pathways and Partnerships student?
You can apply for your pathways credit online!

Advanced Standing

Please allow up to five weeks for applications for Advanced Standing to be processed. Your application must be lodged before the closing date if you would like an outcome before the next teaching session starts.

FAQs about Advanced Standing

What is Advanced Standing?

Advanced Standing is recognition of prior learning in terms of experience and/or studies. When you apply for Advanced Standing, we will assess your prior learning and may award you Advanced Standing in the course in which you are currently studying in recognition of what you have achieved. There are two types of Advanced Standing - specified and unspecified.

What is specified Advanced Standing?

This may be given for a specified unit or units where prior learning is regarded as having satisfied both the objectives and the assessment requirements of the unit. Such prior learning may have been gained through previous study which has already been assessed by an educational establishment (e.g. university or TAFE).

What is unspecified Advanced Standing?

This may be given through recognising a number of credit points rather than a specific unit, where prior learning is regarded to be consistent with the broad outcomes of the course being undertaken. Such prior learning may have been gained through work-based experience, life experience, self-tuition, non-accredited professional development programs, TAFE or university programs.

How do I apply for Advanced Standing?

Once you have confirmed your course in MySR you can apply for Advanced Standing. Applications for Advanced Standing are made through eForms. To access eForms log into MyUWS;and click on eForms in the left menu. Once in eForms click Find Forms and then Advanced Standing. You will need to have certified supporting documentation.

What kind of supporting documentation do I need to submit?

If you are applying for Advanced Standing on the basis of prior study, you need to include at least one of the following documents with your application:
  • awards or testamurs
  • results notices or academic transcripts for all non-UWS study
  • subject or unit outlines

If you are applying for Advanced Standing on the basis of prior work experience you will need to include the following document/s with your application:

  • certified supporting statements from employers.

If you are self-employed you must include all of the following documents with your application:

  • a copy of your business certificate of registration
  • a letter from your accountant or solicitor stating:
    • how long you have been continuously engaged in the business, and
    • the nature of the business

All documentation must be certified.

Please note: We will not be able to assess your work experience if you do not supply documentary evidence when you lodge your application.

In some instances, the academic staff member assessing your application may require further documentation before a decision can be reached. If this happens, you will receive written notification clearly identifying the documentation required, such as relevant course handouts, calendar extracts or unit outlines. These should then be supplied directly to the academic who made the request.

How are applications assessed?

Your application will be assessed by the relevant academic staff and the outcome will be reported back to the Admissions unit, who will process your application. If Advanced Standing has been granted your student record will be adjusted accordingly and if necessary any fees will be adjusted. An email will be sent to your student email account notifying you of the outcome of your application.

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

The time it takes to process your application depends on the complexity of your application and the workload of the academic staff at the time. Under normal circumstances, you could expect to know the outcome of your application within five weeks. If you haven't received information within this period you can email Advanced Standing at

Is Advanced Standing automatically granted?

Regardless of information given by your previous institution or any other educational body, your entitlement to Advanced Standing is not automatically granted. Therefore you will need to apply to have your prior learning assessed.

Can I contact someone if I have a general question about my application?

You can email the University with any questions about your Advanced Standing application at

Make sure your email includes your full name and, if you are an existing UWS Student it should be sent from your UWS email account and also include your student ID number.

What if I have questions specific to my Advanced Standing?

You should enquire with the Head of Program for your course. You can do this before or after you submit your application for Advanced Standing.

What if my qualifications are not in English?

All documentary evidence of studies taken overseas in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation from a National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) qualified freelance or private agency. Such an agency must have been accredited as at least a 'translator'. All translated documents must display the official NAATI stamp which is provided to all qualified translators.

What is a challenge examination?

Occasionally, a final decision regarding your application may need to be delayed so you can demonstrate competency in the unit(s) by undertaking a challenge examination. You will receive a written request to contact the academic staff member to make the necessary arrangements. You will be notified in writing of the outcome and if successful, the Advanced Standing will appear on your record.

What do I need to do if my application is successful?

If Advanced Standing has been granted your student record will be adjusted accordingly and if necessary any fees will be adjusted. You may need to enrol in additional units or change your enrolment, which you can do via MySR.

How can I view my Advanced Standing in MySR?

If your application is successful you can view your Advanced Standing in your student record by following these steps:
  1. Log into MySR
  2. Click on 'Course & Unit Details' on the top left hand side
  3. Click on the blue course code next to 'Advanced Standing for Course'

Will Advanced Standing affect my study load?

Yes, it can affect your study load. If you are receiving a benefit from Centrelink you may be affected if your study load reduces from a full-time load to a part-time load. It may be necessary to enrol in additional units. If this happens, you are able to add units online in MySR. Please note you can not add units after the second week of the teaching session without academic approval. To do this, you will need to submit an online Rule Waiver.

If you are an International student, it is a visa requirement that you maintain a full study load and granted Advanced Standing may affect your visa. You should seek advice from the International Student Advisor on your home campus.

Can I appeal against a decision?

Yes. If you wish to appeal against a decision you should write to:

Advanced Standing
University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith NSW 2751

Your request must provide details for the basis of your appeal together with any relevant supporting documentation.

When is the deadline to appeal a decision?

Your appeal must be lodged in writing within 21 days of the date on the email notifying you of the outcome of your Advanced Standing application.

When will I receive a decision on my appeal?

Your appeal will be heard by the Appeals Committee within 4 weeks of the date of lodging your appeal and you will receive notification as soon as possible. This decision is final.

Related Links

^ Back to top