- Applying to study
- Starting at UWS
- Important dates
- Student forms
- - Advanced Standing
- - Adding, dropping and changing units
- - Special requirements
- - Reenrolling
- - Tutorial Registration
- - Handbook
- - Handbook help
- - Course and unit rules
- - Encumbrances
- - Changing your residency status
- - Transferring to a new course at UWS
- - Varying your course
- - Applying for leave or resigning from your course
- - Changing your personal details
- - Supporting documentation
- - Glossary of terms
- - Student responsibilities
- - UWSOnline
- - Cancelled enrolment
- Services and facilities
- Online systems
- Exams and results
- Contact us
Tertiary Education Pathways and Partnerships student?
You can apply for your pathways credit online!
Please allow up to five weeks for applications for Advanced Standing to be processed. Your application must be lodged before the closing date if you would like an outcome before the next teaching session starts.
FAQs about Advanced Standing
What is Advanced Standing?
What is specified Advanced Standing?
What is unspecified Advanced Standing?
How do I apply for Advanced Standing?
What kind of supporting documentation do I need to submit?
- awards or testamurs
- results notices or academic transcripts for all non-UWS study
- subject or unit outlines
If you are applying for Advanced Standing on the basis of prior work experience you will need to include the following document/s with your application:
- certified supporting statements from employers.
If you are self-employed you must include all of the following documents with your application:
- a copy of your business certificate of registration
- a letter from your accountant or solicitor stating:
- how long you have been continuously engaged in the business, and
- the nature of the business
Please note: We will not be able to assess your work experience if you do not supply documentary evidence when you lodge your application.
In some instances, the academic staff member assessing your application may require further documentation before a decision can be reached. If this happens, you will receive written notification clearly identifying the documentation required, such as relevant course handouts, calendar extracts or unit outlines. These should then be supplied directly to the academic who made the request.
How are applications assessed?
How long will it take for my application to be processed?
Is Advanced Standing automatically granted?
Can I contact someone if I have a general question about my application?
Make sure your email includes your full name and, if you are an existing UWS Student it should be sent from your UWS email account and also include your student ID number.
What if I have questions specific to my Advanced Standing?
What if my qualifications are not in English?
What is a challenge examination?
What do I need to do if my application is successful?
How can I view my Advanced Standing in MySR?
- Log into MySR
- Click on 'Course & Unit Details' on the top left hand side
- Click on the blue course code next to 'Advanced Standing for Course'
Will Advanced Standing affect my study load?
If you are an International student, it is a visa requirement that you maintain a full study load and granted Advanced Standing may affect your visa. You should seek advice from the International Student Advisor on your home campus.
Can I appeal against a decision?
University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith NSW 2751
Your request must provide details for the basis of your appeal together with any relevant supporting documentation.
When is the deadline to appeal a decision?
When will I receive a decision on my appeal?
- Advanced Standing and recognition of prior learning policy
- Certifying documents
- Advanced Standing eForm (online)
- Course and unit search (UWS Handbook)