Bridging programs for academic writing
Bridging programs for academic writing news
- The 2014 Autumn Session Bridging programs for academic writing schedule is now available
- Are you looking Maths help? Go to the Maths Education Support Hub (MESH) website for Maths Start programs. MESH offers workshops in Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry and Calculus from Jan 28 – 8 Feb.
- Register for UniStep academic literacy from 6 January
- Register for Academic Preparation and International AcPrep from 30 January
- Did you know that Bridging programs for academic writing are free?
- Have a question? Check out the Bridging Programs for academic writing frequently asked questions!
The Learning and Teaching Unit runs a range of free preparation programs to help all new and continuing students. These programs are called Bridging programs for academic writing and are run before the start of Autumn and Spring teaching sessions each year.
There are two types of bridging programs, UniStep academic literacy and Academic Preparation. Both develop skills in academic writing and assignment preparation. Each program varies in length, so you can choose a program that suits your needs.
They're great for all students and may be especially helpful if you're worrying about the academic expectations of university, if you've had a break from study and are feeling a bit rusty, or if you haven't studied in Australia before.
Students who have taken part in a bridging program say they're helpful, relevant and give you a head start.
UniStep is an intensive program that develops essential literacy skills. These skills include essay writing at university, critical analysis, reflective writing, assignment preparation and education technology at UWS. You'll also get to practise these skills in a supportive environment, including writing an academic essay at university level and getting constructive feedback from tutors.
The program runs over several days. Make sure you're there every day as each session builds on topics covered in previous sessions. You will get a free comprehensive academic study skills workbook.
It's also a great way to meet other students in a relaxed and friendly environment.
Unistep is on offer from 6 February, in full-time (day), part-time (evening) and blended modes at select UWS campuses.
- Find out more about when the UniStep academic literacy program is on
Want to know what the UniStep academic literacy course is like? Have a look at some of the things other students have said:
"The atmosphere was great! I loved it! I found everything helpful in some way!"
"The material supplied, group discussions and structure of the course were most helpful."
Have questions about UniStep? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Academic Preparation (AcPrep)?
AcPrep is a short program, which is offered on Bankstown, Campbelltown, Parramatta and Penrith campuses. AcPrep programs in 2014 will run in mid to late Feburary.
You'll get an introduction to what's expected of you at university in written assignments, including essay and report writing. We have tailored the content for university students and cover academic writing and study skills, presentations, team work, time management and career information.
You will get a free booklet called 'Reaching for Success'. The Hub for Academic Literacy and Learning (HALL) run AcPrep in conjunction with the Counselling Service and with input from Careers and Cooperative Education.
If you have registered for UniStep academic literacy, you will not need to attend AcPrep.
- Find out when the AcPrep programs are on
International AcPrep is a two day program designed especially for all new international students. It will prepare students for the learning methods they may come across at UWS and gives valuable information and practical experience of:
- Australian academic culture
- tutorial participation and working in groups
- time and stress management
- forms of assessment
- assignment preparation
- academic writing
- plagiarism - what it is and how to avoid it
- education technology preparation
You will receive a valuable resource booklet. The Learning and Teaching Unit runs this program in conjunction with UWS International and the Counselling Service.
- Find out when the International AcPrep program is on
How do I apply?
For any questions email: email@example.com