Special requirements

Special requirements are related to enrolment in courses/units where clinical, practical or work placements are part of a course/unit structure. These include courses/units in Education, Nursing and Social & Health related sciences.

Working with Children Check Student Declaration - WCC 

Students studying courses/units that involve working or contact with people under the age of 18 are required to complete and lodge a Working with Children Check Student Declaration (WCC) in accordance with the Commission for Children and Young People Act 1998.

If you have already completed a Prohibited Employment Declaration (PED) as part of your current course you will not need to submit the Working with Children Check Student Declaration. The PED remains valid for the duration of your current course.

The WCC is available electronically in MySR for commencing students. If you cannot complete the form electronically, the WCC form is available from any Student Central. It must be completed using black pen and the instructions on the form followed carefully. This will ensure the form is processed as soon as possible.

If a WCC is not completed and lodged, enrolment in the related unit/s will not proceed. Students should check their enrolment on MySR approximately 48 hours after lodging their WCC. If you have any problems enrolling in courses or units which require a WCC, please contact Student Central.

If you are enrolling in a course which requires a Student Undertaking, you will also need to submit a WCC.

For more information on the Working with Children Check Student Declaration, please visit the NSW Commission for Children and Young People (opens in a new window) website.

^ Back to top 

National Police Check

There are 3 simple steps for completing the National Police Check:

1. Sign the Student Undertaking Sign the Student Undertaking form. This is available electronically in MySR (via MyUWS) for commencing students. If you can not complete the form electronically, the Student Undertaking form is available from any Student Central.

2. Apply for a National Police Check After you have signed the Student Undertaking form, you will be required to undergo a National Police Check (opens in a new window) either through your state or territory police service or the Australian Federal Police. You should allow 15 working days for your check to be processed.

How to complete the Check

  • You will need to apply online through the NSW Police website. In the online National Police Check form you must complete all mandatory fields marked with an *. Once the form is complete, you need to print the confirmation page
  • Submit the confirmation page and proof of identity to a NSW Police station
  • While at the station pay the appropriate fee to the NSW Police. Fees as at May 2012 are 'Name and date of birth check' ($52)

You will need to apply in an appropriate time-frame to allow you to receive the certificate approximately 3 weeks prior to your placement. In order to ensure that you receive the certificate in time, you should apply no later than six weeks prior to your placement.

Failure to obtain a National Police Check will mean you will not be able to attend any 'placement' units. This may result in you being unable to complete your enrolled unit/s, or your course.

For further information please see the NSW Police website (opens in a new window).

As the National Police Check is NSW Health requirement, you may also want to check out NSW Health's Frequently Asked Questions (opens in new window)

International Students
International students are also required to obtain a National Police Check. You can apply for a National Police Check prior to your arrival in Australia through the Australian Federal Police (opens in a new window)

In addition to the instructions provided on the AFP website you must:

  • Enter Code Number 37 in Section 1 "Purpose of NPC'
  • Tick "No" to the Fingerprint check in Section 5

You will also need to obtain a Police Certificate (with English translation) from your home country and any other country that you have lived.

If you are unable to obtain a Police Check you can complete a Statutory Declaration from the NSW Health website (opens in a new window) stating that you do not have any current or previous criminal charges or convictions in your home country or any other country in which you have lived. If you do have a criminal record you must list the offences, the dates and court outcomes. 

3. Present your National Police Check to a Student Central office When you have received your National Police Check you must take this to any Student Central office to have this recorded on your student record.

NOTE: All students who complete a Student Undertaking must also complete a Working with Children Check Student Declaration. This form is available electronically in MySR for commencing students. If you cannot complete the form electronically, the Working with Children Check Student Declaration form is available from any Student Central.

Clinical Placement Requirements for NSW Health

When you attend a NSW Health facility to undertake a clinical placement you must submit the following documents to the Clinical Coordinator.

If you are an overseas student you will need to submit the above documentation and the following additional document/s.

Clinical Placement Requirements for an Aged Care Facility

The Department of Health and Ageing require all students attending any clinical placement in an Aged Care Facility get a National Police Check.

When you receive your National Police Check you will need to take this to Student Central to have this recorded on your student record.

  • When you attend your Clinical Placement at the Aged Care Facility you will need to have the original copy of your current National Police Certificate and a photocopy of your National Police Certificate (you must have the original certificate with you but you will need to submit the photocopy only as you will need the original certificate for all clinical placements)

NOTE: Overseas students or students who have lived in a foreign country for any period of time after the age of 16 must provide a statutory declaration stating they were not convicted of murder or sexual assault, and not convicted of and sentenced to imprisonment for any other form of assault during their time overseas. Any such criminal record would exclude the person from working within an aged care service if they would be reasonably likely to have access to care recipients. In addition to the statutory declaration, the person must also get a police check to cover the time (after age 16) that they have lived in Australia.

» Example of a statutory declaration [PDF, 154Kb] (opens in a new window)

For further information on the clinical placement requirements of NSW Health (opens in a new window) or Department of Health and Ageing please visit their websites.

^ Back to top

Adult Vaccination Record Card

NSW Health requires all students who will be entering their facilities as part of any fieldwork, research or clinical placement, to produce evidence of current immunisation or vaccination against infectious diseases.

Details regarding the Vaccination requirements and additional useful information is available on the NSW Health website (opens in a new window). Vaccination record cards are available at all Student Central locations.

Note: It is your responsibility to ensure you meet any vaccination requirements prior to attending fieldwork, research or clinical placement and that your card is available for NSW Health supervisory staff to view as required when attending your placement.

Failure to meet vaccination requirements could result in you being denied entry to a NSW Health facility and will jeopardise your progression in the associated unit.

^ Back to top

First Aid Certificate

Students who are required to have a current First Aid certificate for participation in particular units and/or fieldwork, research or clinical placement will need to:

  • Take their original current First Aid certificate from a Registered Training Organisation (see National Training and Information System) to a Student Central with their current Student ID card or photo ID (eg, a current Drivers Licence or passport). The certificate must display one of the following unit codes; HLTFA301B, HLTAID003 or HLTFA311A for it to qualify as equivalent to Senior First Aid. (Please note that the University will continue to accept certificates with the code HLTFA301C as long as it has not passed the expiry date)
  • Have a Student Central Officer check their credentials and process the requirement on their student record
  • Check MySR approximately 48 hours later to ensure enrolment in the relevant unit has been confirmed

Note: You cannot enrol in the associated unit until this requirement has been validated.

For more information on First Aid Certificates, please visit the National Training Information Service website (opens in a new window) to check that your certificate has been issued by an approved provider.

^ Back to top 

Further information

If you have any other enquiries please email enrolments@uws.edu.au.

^ Back to top