Fees and costs

International students are required to have genuine access to sufficient funds while studying in Australia.  Funds should be sufficient to contribute to the cost of tuition, travel, living costs and school costs of any dependants.

Expenses per typePer personAmount required in AUD$
TravelApplicantReturn air fare to Australia
Family membersOne return air fare to Australia per person
TuitionApplicantCourse fees - refer to the fee schedules below
School-age children aged 5-18Refer to this site (opens in a new window)
LivingApplicantAUD $25,000 per year
PartnerAUD $6,515 per year
First childAUD $3,720 per year
Second childAUD $2,790 per year

International Student Tuition Fees

Annual tuition fees only cover the cost of your tuition. They do not include other expenses associated with university study such as accommodation, books, equipment and living expenses.

The annual tuition fee for each course is listed on a separate sheet (see links below). Your Offer of Admission Letter will state the fees you should pay, including compulsory Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) fees and any other general charges levied by the University.

Fee Schedules

Undergraduate Fees

Postgraduate Fees

Higher Degree Research Fees

The tuition fee must be paid in advance for each session or teaching period. Annual tuition and other fees are subject to change on 1 January each year after commencement of study.

For fee refund policy information, please see International Fee and Refund Agreement (opens in a new window).

Further reading: International Student Fee and Refund Agreement (opens in a new window)

Student Services and Amenities Fee

As a result of new Commonwealth legislation, Australian universities, including Western Sydney University will be introducing a new Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) for international students from January 2013.

In 2014, the fee is $281.00 per year for full time students. The fee applies to all students, including domestic students, international students and The College students and is subject to change each calendar year.

More information can be found on the SSAF page.

Overseas Student Health Cover

When you receive an offer of a place at the University you will usually be asked to pay for Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). This is a compulsory Health Insurance that is required for the issuing of a Student Visa. International students who are classified as AusAID sponsored, and certain categories of IDP sponsored students, are eligible for this cover free of charge.

More information can be found on the Overseas Student Health Cover page.

Cost of Living

All students will require approximately AUD$25,000 per year to cover living expenses. Depending on your lifestyle you may require more or less than this amount (this is a rough guide only). Remember, your living expenses are separate from your tuition fees.

More information on the Cost of Living page or Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.(opens in a new window)

Education of Dependants

If you come to Australia as an overseas student on a student visa, you should be aware that you will be required to pay full fees for any of your school-aged dependants who accompany you and who are enrolled in either a government or non-government school in Australia.

More information can be found on the Bringing family page.