- Research at UWS
- Research Concentrations
- Current Research Students
- - Annual Progress Reports
- - Examination
- - Ethics
- - Fees
- - Early Candidature Plan
- - Newsletter and Guides
- - Resources
- - Supervision
- - Confirmation of Candidature
- - Orientation
- - Overseas Field Research
- - Forms, Policies and Guidelines
- - On-Line Programs
- - Enrolment Matters
- - Managing Your Progress
- - What's On
- - Future Research Students
- - Current Research Students
- Research Ethics and Integrity
- Community and Industry
- Research Scholarships
- Office of Research Services
- Research Success
- Research Facilities
Confirmation of Candidature
The Confirmation of Candidature is a compulsory requirement for all first year research students, usually completed within the first six months of candidature, but no later than 12 months.
On-Line Workshops for Higher Degree Research
"I did my master's with a strong research component, only a few year's back and therefore I was already familiar with most of the issues around postgraduate research. This program (Postgraduate Essentials) helped me refresh my knowledge and gave me a better insight into some the stuff I used to overlook."
"All the information was useful and necessary- particularly as a resource source to draw on as I progress through my degree." - UWS Candidates talking about Postgraduate Essentials.
Postgraduate Essentials is a compulsory online academic orientation course covering the period from the beginning of candidature to confirmation. The program will support you in identifying and developing the academic skills and management tools that you need to successfully navigate your candidature. The interactive environment also provides opportunities for peer-support and interaction with University advisers.
By completing the course, you will be supported to:
- understand the key stages and distinct challenges involved in postgraduate research
- develop knowledge of time and task management issues, tools and resources
- reflect on and clarify the roles and responsibilities of PhD candidates and their supervisors
- explore the main browsers, search engines, bibliographic software, online databases, indexes and catalogues that you will use for conducting and recording literature searches
- understand the requirements and elements of a literature review and a confirmation report
- consider factors that contribute to the effective presentation of academic research.
Access information is located in the PGE Starter Kit (PDF, 73Kb). The course must be completed prior to Confirmation of Candidature.
Completion and Beyond is available to students who have conducted their Confirmation of Candidature. It is not compulsory and is offered as a useful resource for middle and late stages of candidature. It has six modules covering specific aspects of completing and submitting a research masters or doctoral thesis and planning for life after graduation. Candidates can choose when and in what order to access the modules. There are film clips, examples of work, exercises, references and opportunities to meet other completing candidates. Completion and Beyond is available on the vUWS website and encompasses:
- Writing to Finish
- The Editing Clinic
- Submission and Examination
- Maintaining Momentum
- Supervision - Managing the Changing Relationship
- Beyond the Research Degree.
Access to Completion and Beyond will be given at the Completion of Candidature. For further information contact Mary Krone, firstname.lastname@example.org