Research Scholarships at UWS
UWS offers a range of scholarships to enable higher degree students to undertake their research:
Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA)
- The Australian Postgraduate Awards are Commonwealth Government funded scholarships. They are awarded to exceptional new candidates to assist with their general living costs while they undertake higher degree research
International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships are a tuition fee scholarship for full-time study towards a higher degree by research. These prestigious scholarships are funded by the Australian Government.
Yarramundi Higher Degree Research Scholarships (for Indigenous applicants only)
- The Yarramundi Scholarship scheme aims to strengthen and support indigenous participation in higher degree research at UWS. A number of scholarships are available for candidates seeking admission to a research higher degree at either Masters Honours or doctoral level. Submit a Yarramundi Higher Degree Research Scholarship application form (PDF, 242.49 KB) (opens in a new window) and supporting documents before 18 April 2014.
Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment
- Fungal Farmers in Australian Trees (PDF, 488.69 KB) (opens in a new window). HIE is seeking a PhD candidate to work in the field of insect ecology and evolution. The project is linked to an Australian Biological Resources Study, exploring insect, microbe and tree associations among the wood boring, fungus cultivating ambrosia beetles.
- Hunting for RNA Regulatory Switches and RNA Thermometers in Plants (PDF, 489.4 KB) (opens in a new window). We are seeking a dynamic PhD candidate to research RNA and Epigenetic Biology as well as secondary metabolism.
Institute for Infrastructure Engineering
The Institute for Infrastructure Engineering offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
The MARCS Institute
- MARCS will shortly be seeking applicants for five new research scholarships .
Institute for Culture & Society
- The Institute for Culture and Society offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
School of Computing, Engineering & Mathematics
- Two generous Discovery Postgraduate Research Award scholarships (PDF, 2737.4 KB) (opens in a new window) are available for an ARC-funded project to study the properties and mechanical responses of structural components made of the new polymer nanocomposites.
- The Telehealth Research & Innovation Laboratory (THRIL) at UWS is seeking highly motivated applicants to undertake PhD studies (PDF, 70.07 KB) (opens in a new window) in one of its major areas of Telehealth research: (i) Smart Home for Health (ii) Human-Computer Interaction for Healthcare (iii) Mobile and Web based Health Applications (iv) Medical Imaging and Digital Image Understanding.
School of Humanities and Communication Arts
- The School of Humanities and Communication Arts offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
School of Medicine
- Applications are invited from candidates who are passionate about education for the health professions to undertake a Program of Postgraduate Research (PDF, 151.35 KB) (opens in a new window) which aligns with the research program of the Medical Education Unit of the School of Medicine.
School of Science and Health
- Applications are invited from highly motivated graduates to undertake a doctoral candidature (PDF, 72.21 KB) (opens in a new window) as part of a longitudinal project measuring the role of the brain in persistent low back pain.
Centre for Health Research
- The Centre for Health Research, in collaboration with Mission Australia, is seeking an excellent doctoral candidate to undertake a Project on Family Homelessness (PDF, 93.74 KB) (opens in a new window) supported by a tax-free scholarship of $29,000 per annum.
Religion and Society Research Centre
- The Religion and Society Research Centre / School of Social Sciences and Psychology is seeking an excellent candidate to investigates the rise of global Pentecostalism, for a Religion and Society Research Scholarship (PDF, 132.66 KB).(opens in a new window)
Cross Cultural Public Health Research Award
- The Cross Cultural Public Health Research Award (PDF, 32.15 KB) (opens in a new window) is open to candidates from the degrees of Master (by research), PhD, MD or professional doctorate in public health either at the University of Western Sydney or the University of Sydney. The award supports research on public health issues affecting Indigenous Australians, refugees or recently arrived migrants to Australia. Applications now sought.
National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) (opens in a new window) offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
Joint Research Engagement - Engineering Cadetships (JRE)
Each cadetship is valued at $5350 for 2014.
To be eligible you must:
- Be a domestic student enrolled in a PhD or M(Hons)
- Be employed in R&D activities eligible for support under the R&D Tax Incentive Scheme (check with your employer)
- Be undertaking paid employment on a part-time or casual basis
Download the Engineering Cadetships application form or visit the Australian Government Joint Research Engagement website (opens in a new window) for more information. Applicants should email the completed form to HDRScholarships@uws.edu.au.
Applications are accepted all year round.
F.G. Swain Award
The University invites you to apply for the F.G. Swain Award.
The award is funded by the UWS Hawkesbury Foundation and provides funding for research activities such as travel for fieldwork, equipment, software/hardware and general research expenses.
To be eligible you must be enrolled in a doctoral program and located on the Hawkesbury campus.
Download the F.G Swain Award application form (PDF, 75.84 KB) (opens in a new window). To apply please submit the application form before the closing date 31 May 2014.
Maldives International Policing Research Scholarship
UWS invites applications from excellent candidates to undertake doctoral research in an area of policing (PDF, 90.58 KB) (opens in a new window) that has an international focus. The scholarship is part of a capacity building initiative with the Maldives Police Service.
The following organisations offer scholarships to help support research candidatures. Application is made directly to the relevant organisation.
- Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) (opens in a new window)
- Australian Federation of Graduate Women (opens in a new window)
- Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) (opens in a new window)
- Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association (engineering scholarships) (opens in a new window)
- Australian Rotary Health (opens in a new window)
- Bush Blitz (opens in a new window)
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) (opens in a new window)
- Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships (Australian commonwealth government funded) (opens in a new window)
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (opens in a new window)
- Hong Kong Baptist University exchange scholarships (opens in a new window)
- Menzies Centre for Australian Studies at King's College London (opens in a new window)
- MS Research Australia (Multiple Sclerosis) (opens in a new window)
- Australian College of Nursing grants and awards (opens in a new window)
- "Babe" Norman Scholarship (opens in a new window)
- Australian Government scholarships for nursing (opens in a new window)
- Avant Doctor in Training (DIT) Research Scholarship (opens in a new window)
- Aurora Project Study Tour (opens in a new window) for ATSI students/graduates