Research Scholarships at UWS
UWS offers a range of scholarships to enable higher degree students to undertake their research.
Australian Postgraduate Awards (APA)
- The Australian Postgraduate Awards are Commonwealth Government funded scholarships. They are awarded to exceptional new candidates to assist with their general living costs while they undertake higher degree research
International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarships are a tuition fee scholarship for full-time study towards a higher degree by research. These prestigious scholarships are funded by the Australian Government.
Yarramundi Higher Degree Research Scholarships (for Indigenous applicants only)
- The Yarramundi Scholarship scheme aims to strengthen and support indigenous participation in higher degree research at UWS. A number of scholarships are available for candidates seeking admission to a research higher degree at either Masters Honours or doctoral level. Submit a Yarramundi Higher Degree Research Scholarship application form (PDF, 242.49 KB) (opens in a new window) and supporting documents before 18 April 2014.
Hawkesbury Institute for the Environment
- Fungal Farmers in Australian Trees (PDF, 488.69 KB) (opens in a new window). HIE is seeking a PhD candidate to work in the field of insect ecology and evolution. The project is linked to an Australian Biological Resources Study, exploring insect, microbe and tree associations among the wood boring, fungus cultivating ambrosia beetles.
- Hunting for RNA Regulatory Switches and RNA Thermometers in Plants (PDF, 489.4 KB) (opens in a new window). We are seeking a dynamic PhD candidate to research RNA and Epigenetic Biology as well as secondary metabolism.
Institute for Infrastructure Engineering
The Institute for Infrastructure Engineering offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
The MARCS Institute
- MARCS will shortly be seeking applicants for five new research scholarships.
Institute for Culture & Society
- The Institute for Culture and Society offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
School of Humanities and Communication Arts
- The School of Humanities and Communication Arts offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
School of Science and Health
- Molecular and Physiological Insight: Stomatal Guard Cells (PDF, 131.23 KB) (opens in a new window) The School of Science and Health is seeking a PhD candidate for an ARC project in plant biology investigating the role of chloroplast retrograde signalling in terms of drought regulation. Applicants should be strong in areas of plant physiology, plant molecular and cell biology.
Religion and Society Research Centre
- The Religion and Society Research Centre / School of Social Sciences and Psychology is seeking an excellent candidate to investigates the rise of global Pentecostalism, for a Religion and Society Research Scholarship (PDF, 132.66 KB).(opens in a new window)
Cross Cultural Public Health Research Award
- The Cross Cultural Public Health Research Award (PDF, 32.15 KB) (opens in a new window) is open to candidates from the degrees of Master (by research), PhD, MD or professional doctorate in public health either at the University of Western Sydney or the University of Sydney. The award supports research on public health issues affecting Indigenous Australians, refugees or recently arrived migrants to Australia. Applications now sought.
National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) (opens in a new window) offers various scholarships throughout the year. Please check back regularly for updates.
Joint Research Engagement - Engineering Cadetships (JRE)
Each cadetship is valued at $5350 for 2014.
To be eligible you must:
- Be a domestic student enrolled in a PhD or M(Hons)
- Be employed in R&D activities eligible for support under the R&D Tax Incentive Scheme (check with your employer)
- Be undertaking paid employment on a part-time or casual basis
Download the Engineering Cadetships application form or visit the Australian Governemnt Joint Research Engagement website (opens in a new window) for more information. Applicants should email the completed form to HDRScholarships@uws.edu.au.
Applications are accepted all year round.
F.G. Swain Award
The University invites you to apply for the F.G. Swain Award.
The award is funded by the UWS Hawkesbury Foundation and provides funding for research activities such as travel for fieldwork, equipment, software/hardware and general research expenses.
To be eligible you must be enrolled in a doctoral program and located on the Hawkesbury campus.
Download the F.G Swain Award application form (PDF, 75.84 KB) (opens in a new window). To apply please submit the application form before the closing date 31 May 2014.
The following organisations offer scholarships to help support research candidatures. Application is made directly to the relevant organisation.
- Australian Biological Resources Study (ABRS) (opens in a new window)
- Australian Federation of Graduate Women (opens in a new window)
- Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) (opens in a new window)
- Australian Petroleum Production & Exploration Association (engineering scholarships) (opens in a new window)
- Australian Rotary Health (opens in a new window)
- Bush Blitz (opens in a new window)
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) (opens in a new window)
- Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships (Australian commonwealth government funded) (opens in a new window)
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) (opens in a new window)
- Hong Kong Baptist University exchange scholarships (opens in a new window)
- Menzies Centre for Australian Studies at King's College London (opens in a new window)
- MS Research Australia (Multiple Sclerosis) (opens in a new window)
- Australian College of Nursing grants and awards (opens in a new window)
- "Babe" Norman Scholarship (opens in a new window)
- Australian Government scholarships for nursing (opens in a new window)
- Avant Doctor in Training (DIT) Research Scholarship (opens in a new window)
- Aurora Project Study Tour (opens in a new window) for ATSI students/graduates