Doctor Baljinder Sahdra
Social, Personal & Developmental Psychology (SSAP)
My research investigates conflicts and harmony at multiple levels – groups, friends, romantic couples, and family members. At the intergroup level, my research has shown how dispositional and situational changes in levels of group identification influence memory of historical intergroup conflicts, and how historical memory, in turn, influences social connectedness. At the interpersonal level, I have examined the impact of individual differences and situational changes in felt security on conflict reduction and helpful behaviors within couples and among peers. At the intrapersonal level, I have studied ways to reduce intrapsychic conflicts and promote adaptive self-regulation. My current studies involve integrating these three levels by focusing on how intrapersonal level factors can promote harmony at the interpersonal and intergroup levels. My program of research aimed at investigating positive interpersonal and intergroup relations and personal flourishing, arguably the most pressing issues of humanity, falls under the longstanding call to “make psychology matter” to our lives beyond the laboratory. As I plan my future studies, I remain committed to integrating and applying diverse theoretical perspectives to important societal problems.
This information has been contributed by Doctor Sahdra.
- GradDipCogSci University of Waterloo (Canada)
- PhD University of Waterloo (Canada)
- MARTSPhil University of Waterloo (Canada)
- BA(Hons) University of Toronto
UWS Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Social, Personal & Developmental Psychology (SSAP)
|Phone:||(02) 9772 6494|
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within the University of Western Sydney (UWS), and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Mikulincer, M., Shaver, P., Sahdra, B. and Bar-On, N. (2013), 'Can security-enhancing interventions overcome psychological barriers to responsiveness in couple relationships?', Attachment and Human Development, vol 15, no 3 , pp 246 - 260.
- Jacobs, T., Sahdra, B., Kemeny, M., Ferrer, E., Wallace, B., Saron, C., Shaver, P., Epel, E., Zanesco, A., Aichele, S., Bridwell, D., Rosenberg, E., King, B. and MacLean, K. (2013), 'Self-reported mindfulness and cortisol during a Shamatha meditation retreat', Health Psychology, vol 32, no 10 , pp 1104 - 1109.
- Saggar, M., Sahdra, B., Ferrer, E., Tang, A., Mangun, G., Alan Wallace, B., Miikkulainen, R., Saron, C., King, B., Zanesco, A., MacLean, K., Aichele, S., Jacobs, T., Bridwell, D., Shaver, P. and Rosenberg, E. (2012), 'Intensive training induces longitudinal changes in meditation state-related EEG oscillatory activity', Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, vol 6 , pp 1 - 14.
- Sahdra, B., Saron, C., Lavy, S., Wallace, B., Birdwell, D., MacLean, K., Shaver, P., Ferrer, E., Jacobs, T., Rosenberg, E., Zanesco, A., Aichele, S. and King, B. (2011), 'Enhanced response inhibition during intensive meditation training predicts improvements in self-reported adaptive socioemotional functioning', Emotion, vol 11, no 2 , pp 299 - 312.
- Jacobs, T., King, B., Shaver, P., Rosenberg, E., Ferrer, E., Wallace, B., Saron, C., Epel, E., Jue, L., Blackburn, E., Wolkowitz, O., Zanesco, A., Aichele, S., Sahdra, B. and Maclean, K. (2011), 'Intensive meditation training, immune cell telomerase activity, and psychological mediators.', Psychoneuroendocrinology, vol 36, no 5 , pp 664 - 681.
- MacLean, K., Shaver, P., Wallace, B., Mangun, G., Saron, C., Ferrer, E., Aichele, S., Bridwell, D., Zanesco, A., Jacobs, T., King, B., Rosenberg, E. and Sahdra, B. (2010), 'Intensive meditation training leads to improvements in perceptual discrimination and sustained attention.', Psychological Science, vol 21 , pp 829 - 839.
- Sahdra, B., Shaver, P. and Brown, K. (2010), 'A scale to measure nonattachment: A Buddhist complement to Western research on attachment and adaptive functioning.', Journal of Personality Assessment, vol 92 , pp 1 - 12.
- Sahdra, B. and Ross, M. (2007), 'Group identification and historical memory.', Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, vol 33 , pp 384 - 395.
- Sahdra, B. and Thagard, P. (2003), 'Self-deception and emotional coherence.', Minds and Machines, vol 15 , pp 213 - 231.
- Sahdra, B. and Thagard, P. (2003), 'Procedural knowledge in molecular biology.', Philosophical Psychology, vol 16 , pp 477 - 498.
|Title:||Quantifiable Constituents of Spiritual Growth [via Regents of the Uni of California]|
|Years:||2013-03-01 - 2016-02-29|
|UWS Researchers:||Baljinder Sahdra|
|Title:||Nonattachment and Intergroup Harmony|
|Years:||2012-09-01 - 2014-08-31|
|UWS Researchers:||Baljinder Sahdra|