Doctor James East
LECTURER - PURE MATHEMATICS,
- PhD University of Sydney
UWS Organisational Unit (School / Division)
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within the University of Western Sydney (UWS), and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
I obtained my PhD in pure mathematics from the University of Sydney, where I also did my BSc (Adv Math), gaining first class honours and the university medal. Since then, I held postdoctoral research positions at La Trobe University and the University of Sydney, before beginning a lecturing position in the School of Computing and Mathematics at the University of Western Sydney in 2011.
My research comes under the broad heading of abstract algebra, but I am particularly interested in braid groups, reflection groups and semigroup theory, and their many areas of intersection. My recent focus has been on transformation semigroups (semigroups that somehow generalize the well-known symmetric groups), and related objects including partition monoids and algebras. My main avenue for studying these structures has been to utilise (and find) presentations in terms of generators and relations.
Outside of mathematical research, I enjoy cricket, Rubiks puzzles, and a nice scotch.
This information has been contributed by Doctor East.
- Braid Groups
- Pure Mathematics
- Reflection Groups
- Semigroup Theory
- East, J. and FitzGerald, D. (2012), 'The semigroup generated by the idempotents of a partition monoid', Journal of Algebra, 108 - 133.
- East, J. (2012), 'Generation of infinite factorizable inverse monoids', Semigroup Forum, 267 - 283.
- East, J. (2012), 'Defining relations for idempotent generators in finite full transformation semigroups', Semigroup Forum, .
- East, J. and Mcnamara, P. (2011), 'On the Work Performed by a Transformation Semigroup', Australasian Journal of Combinatorics, 95 - 109.
- East, J. (2011), 'On the singular part of the partition monoid', International Journal of Algebra and Computation, 147 - 178.
- East, J. (2011), 'Generators and relations for partition monoids and algebras', Journal of Algebra, 1 - 26.
- East, J. (2010), 'Presentations for Singular Subsemigroups of the Partial Transformation Semigroup', International Journal of Algebra and Computation, 1 - 25.
- East, J. (2010), 'Braids and Order-Preserving Partial Permutations', Journal of Knot Theory and its Ramifications, 1025 - 1049.
- East, J. (2010), 'A presentation for the singular part of the full transformation semigroup', Semigroup Forum, 357 - 379.
- East, J. (2008), 'On a Class of Factorizable Inverse Monoids Associated with Braid Groups', Communications in Algebra, 3155 - 3190.
- East, J. (2008), 'Embeddings in Coset Monoids', Journal of the Australian Mathematical Society, 75 - 80.
- East, J., Easdown, D. and Fitzgerald, D. (2008), 'A Presentation of the Dual Symmetric Inverse Monoid', International Journal of Algebra and Computation, 357 - 374.
- East, J. (2007), 'Braids and Partial Permutations', Advances in Mathematics, 440 - 461.
- East, J. (2007), 'Vines and Partial Transformations', Advances in Mathematics, 787 - 810.
- East, J. (2006), 'Birman's Conjecture is True for I2(p)', Journal of Knot Theory and its Ramifcations, 167 - 177.
- East, J. (2006), 'Cellular Algebras and Inverse Semigroups', Journal of Algebra, 505 - 519.
- East, J. (2006), 'The Factorizable Braid Monoid', Proceedings of the Edinburgh Mathematical Society, 609 - 636.
- East, J. (2006), 'Factorizable Inverse Monoids of Cosets of Subgroups of a Group', Communications in Algebra, 2659 - 2665.
- East, J. (2006), 'A Presentation of the Singular Part of the Symmetric Inverse Monoid', Communications in Algebra, 1671 - 1689.
- East, J., Easdown, D. and Fitzgerald, D. (2005), 'Presentations of Factorizable Inverse Monoids', Acta Scientiarum Mathematicarum, 509 - 520.