Professor Timothy Rowse
Institute for Culture and Society
Born: 11/2/51 Education: Secondary - Marist Brothers NorthShore; Tertiary - SydneyUniversity 1969-71, 1973 BA (Hons, first class with University Medal Government), then FlindersUniversity 1974-6 MA in Sociology (by thesis); later SydneyUniversity 1986-9 PhD in Anthropology
1976 Research Officer, Premiers Department, Victorian Government 1983 Visiting Fellow, ResearchSchool of Pacific Studies (North Australia Research Unit), ANU (January-July) 1985 Visiting Fellow, Research School of Social Sciences, ANU 1987 Research Officer, Tangentyere Council, Alice Springs 1989 Research Officer (Curriculum development) Institute for Aboriginal Development, Alice Springs 1989-94 Senior Research Officer (Medical Anthropology) Menzies School of Health Research, Alice Springs 1992 (four weeks only) Visiting Research Professor in Australian Studies, University of Queensland. 1992-3 Hugh Williamson Fellow, Australian Centre, University of Melbourne. 1994-2000 ARC Research Fellow, Department of Government and Public Administration, University of Sydney 2000 Fellow, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, ANU (17 July 2000 to 15 July 2001) 2001 Senior Fellow, History Program, Research School of Social Sciences, AustralianNationalUniversity 2009-2011 Professorial Fellow, Centre for Citizenship and Public Policy, University of Western Sydney 2012-present Professorial Fellow, Dean’s Unit, School of Humanities and Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney
1975 Part time tutor Philosophy Discipline, FlindersUniversity 1978-85 Lecturer in Sociology, School of Behavioural Sciences, MacquarieUniversity 1988 Part time Lecturer in Leisure Studies, Kuring-gaiCollege of Advanced Education 1993-4 Course Convenor (one of several), Diploma/Masters in Public Health, Menzies School of Health Research 1999 Senior Lecturer (first semester only) Department of Archaeology and Anthropology, AustralianNationalUniversity 2003-4 Visiting Professor of Australian Studies, HarvardUniversity 2005, 2006 and 2008 Convenor, 4th Year Honours Seminar, History Department, Faculty of Arts, ANU 2008 Coordinator, Postgraduate Studies, History Program, RSSS, ANU 2012-present Professorial Fellow, School of Humanities and Communication Arts, University of Western Sydney (20 per cent teaching load)
2001 Elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities, and I am a member of the ‘Culture and Communication studies’ and ‘History’ Sections. 2003 Awarded a Centenary Medal for my work in Australian and Indigenous Studies. 2007 Elected a Fellow of the Australian Social Science Academy.
This information has been contributed by Professor Rowse.
- PhD University of Sydney
- MA Flinders University of South Australia
- BA University of Sydney
- Australian Social Science Academy (2007)
- Australian Academy of Humanities (2000)
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies (1992 - 2019)
- Australian Indigenous History. Indigenous people in Anglophone Settler Colonial Societies. Global History of Indigenous peoples.
Organisational Unit (School / Division)
- Institute for Culture and Society
- Executive of the Australian Social Science Academy
PLEASE NOTE: obtaining information from this Directory must be for the legitimate purposes of doing business with and within Western Sydney University, and must not be used for unsolicited bulk e-mailing (spamming) or similar purposes.
- Rowse, T. (2012), 'Rethinking Social Justice: From 'Peoples' to 'Populations'', : Aboriginal Studies Press 9781922059161.
- Rowse, T. and Goot, M. (2007), 'Divided Nation? Indigenous affairs and the imagined public', : Melbourne University Press 9780522853421.
- Rowse, T. (2002), 'Nugget Coombs: a reforming life', : Cambridge University Press 0521817838.
- Rowse, T. (2002), 'Indigenous futures: choice and development for Aboriginal and Islander Australia', : University of New South Wales Press 0868406058.
Chapters in Books
- Rowse, T. (2016), 'Nation', Identity and belonging, Palgrave 9781137334923.
- Rowse, T. (2015), 'Indigenous incorporation as a means to empowerment', Native Title from Mabo to Akiba: A Vehicle for Change and Empowerment?, Federation Press 9781862879980.
- Rowse, T. (2015), 'Coombs the Keynesian', The Seven Dwarfs and the Age of the Mandarins: Australian Government Administration in the Post-war Reconstruction Era, Australian National University Press 9781925022322.
- Finnane, K. and Rowse, T. (2012), 'Alice Springs', Sociology: Antipodean Perspectives, Oxford University Press 9780195575286.
- Rowse, T. (2012), 'Aboriginal Australians', Sociology: Antipodean Perspectives, Oxford University Press 9780195575286.
- Rowse, T. (2012), 'Australasia', The Edinburgh Companion to the History of Democracy, Edinburgh University Press 9780748640751.
- Rowse, T. (2012), 'The identity of indigenous political thought', Between Indigenous and Settler Governance, Routledge 9780415699709.
- Rowse, T. (2011), 'Global Indigenism: genealogy of a non-racial category', Rethinking the Racial Moment: Essays on the Colonial Encounter, Cambridge Scholars Publishing 9781443828628.
- Rowse, T. (2010), 'Re-figuring Indigenous culture', Culture Crisis: Anthropology and politics in Aboriginal Australia, UNSW Press 9781742232256.
- Rowse, T. (2010), 'Bonner, Neville Thomas (1922-1999)', The Biographical Dictionary of the Australian Senate: Volume 3, 1963-2009, UNSW Press 9780868409962.
- Rowse, T. (2010), 'The complexity of the object of consent: some Australian stories', Between consenting peoples: political community and the meaning of consent, University of British Columbia Press 9780774818834.
- Rowse, T. (2009), 'The uselessness of 'race thinking' to settler Australians'', Frontier, race and nation, Australian Scholarly Publishing 9781921509445.
- Rowse, T. (2009), 'Indigenous politics', The Australian Study of Politics, Palgrave Macmillan 9780230201033.
- Rowse, T. (2008), 'After the Dreaming: the Boyer Lecturer as social critic', An appreciation of difference: W.E.H. Stanner and Aboriginal Australia, Aboriginal Studies Press 0855756608.
- Rowse, T. (2008), 'Nugget Coombs', Australian Greats, William Heinemann 9781741665925.
- Rowse, T. (2008), 'A gift of nature? Historical perspectives on Australia's northern border', Rencontres Australiennes: regards croises sur l'identite d'un people et d'une nation, Press de l'Universite .
- Rowse, T. (2008), 'Indigenous culture: the politics of vulnerability and survival', The Sage Handbook of Cultural Analysis, Sage Publications 9780761942290.
- Rowse, T. (2007), 'Family and nation: the Indigenous/non-Indigenous relationship', Social cohesion in Australia, Cambridge University Press 9780521709439.
- Rowse, T. and Goot, M. (2007), 'Inclusion, equality and difference: continuities in public opinion about Indigenous Australians', Making Australian History: perspectives on the past since 1788, Thomson 9780170132107.
- Rowse, T. (2007), 'The problem of Indigenous jurisdiction', Coercive reconciliation: stabilize, normalize, exit Aboriginal Australia, Arena Publications Association 9780980415803.
- Rowse, T. (2006), 'The politics of being 'practical': Howard's fourth term challenge', Moving Anthropology: Critical Indigenous Studies, Charles Darwin University Press 0975835610.
- Rowse, T. (2006), 'What if the Bruce-Page government had created a Model Aboriginal State', What if? Australian history as it might have been, Melbourne University Press 978522851748.
- Rowse, T. (2006), 'Towards a history of Indigenous statistics in Australia', Assessing Recent Evidence on Indigenous Socioeconomic Outcomes: A focus on the 2002 NATSISS, CAEPR Monograph No. 26, ANU E-press, ANU 1920942645.
- Rowse, T. (2006), 'From enforceability to feel-good: notes on the pre-history of the recent treaty debate', What good condition? Reflections on an Aboriginal Treaty 1986-2006 Aboriginal History Monograph 13, ANU E-Press 1920942904.
- Rowse, T. (2005), ''The Indigenous Sector' in Culture, Economy and Governance in Aboriginal Australia. Sydney', Proceedings of a Workshop of the Academy of Social Sciences, University of Sydney Press 1920898204.
- Rowse, T. and Altman, J. (2005), 'Indigenous affairs', Ideas and Influence: social science and public policy in Australia, University of NSW Press 0868409146.
- Rowse, T. and Nile, R. (2005), 'Introduction', Contesting Assimilation, API Network 1920845151.
- Rowse, T. (2005), 'Aboriginal respectability', Contesting Assimilation, API Network 1920845151.
- Rowse, T. (2005), 'The post war social science of assimilation 1947-1966', Contesting Assimilation, API Network 1920845151.
- Rowse, T. (2005), 'The certainties of assimilation', Contesting Assimilation, API Network 1920845151.
- Rowse, T. (2005), 'The colonial encounter', The Macquarie Atlas of Indigenous Australia, Macquarie University: the Macquarie Library .
- Rowse, T. (2004), 'Elusive middle ground: a political history of Commonwealth Arbitration', The New Province for Law and Order: Centennial history of Commonwealth Arbitration, Cambridge University Press 0521842891.
- Rowse, T. (2004), 'Notes on the history of the Aboriginal population of Aboriginal population of Australia', Genocide and Settler Society, Berghahn Books 1571814108.
- Rowse, T. (2003), 'The social democratic critique of the Australian Settlement', It's time again: Whitlam and modern Labor, Melbourne Publishing Group 0958093849.
- Rowse, T. (2003), 'Britons, settlers and Aborigines: civil society and its colonized 'other' in colonial, post-colonial and present-day Australia', Civil Society in British History, Oxford University Press 0199279101.
- Rowse, T. (2001), 'Commonality and difference: themes in the arts advocacy of H.C.Coombs', Culture in Australia: policies, publics and programs, Cambridge University Press 0521802903.
- Rowse, T. (2001), 'Culturally appropriate Indigenous Accountability', Citizenship and cultural policy, Sage Publications 07619293X.
- Rowse, T. (2001), 'Democratic systems are an alien thing to Aboriginal culture', Speaking for the people: representation in Australian politics, Melbourne University Press 0522849725.
- Rowse, T. (2001), 'The political dimensions of community development and Postscript', The Indigenous welfare economy and the CDEP scheme Research Monograph no. 20, Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University 1920942041.
- Rowse, T. (2001), 'Triumph of the colonists', The fuss that never ended: the life and work of Geoffrey Blainey, Melbourne University Press 0522850340.
- Rowse, T. (2015), 'Historical reasoning about Indigenous imprisonment : a community of fate?', Australian Review of Public Affairs, vol 13, no 1 , pp 1 - 21.
- Rowse, T. (2015), 'The indigenous redemption of liberal universalism', Modern Intellectual History, vol 12, no 3 , pp 579 - 603.
- Sluga, G. and Rowse, T. (2015), 'Global liberalisms : introduction', Modern Intellectual History, vol 12, no 3 , pp 523 - 528.
- Rowse, T. (2014), 'Population knowledge and the practice of guardianship', American Nineteenth Century History, vol 15, no 1 , pp 15 - 42.
- Rowse, T. (2014), '"Rooted in demographic reality" : the contribution of new world censuses to Indigenous survival', History and Anthropology, vol 25, no 2 , pp 246 - 262.
- Rowse, T. (2014), 'Self-determination as self-transformation', E-International Relations, , pp 42 - 51.
- Rowse, T. (2014), 'Indigenous heterogeneity', Australian Historical Studies, vol 45, no 3 , pp 297 - 310.
- Rowse, T. and Shellam, T. (2013), 'The colonial emergence of a statistical imaginary', Comparative Studies in Society and History, vol 55, no 4 , pp 922 - 954.
- Rowse, T. (2013), 'The politics of 'Aboriginal society'', History Australia, vol 10, no 2 , pp 136 - 158.
- Rowse, T. (2011), 'Debating the categories of remote Indigenous sociality', Alternatives, vol 36, no 1 , pp 39 - 47.
- Mitchell, M. and Rowse, T. (2011), ''Police Officers' Experience of Indigenous Capacity"', Australian Indigenous Law Review, vol 15, no 1 , pp 34 - 46.
- Rowse, T. and Smith, L. (2010), 'The limits of 'elimination' in the politics of population', Australian Historical Studies, vol 41, no 1 , pp 90 - 106.
- Rowse, T. (2010), 'The reforming state, the concerned public and Indigenous political actors', Australian Journal of Politics and History, vol 56, no 1 , pp 66 - 81.
- Rowse, T. (2010), 'Knowing and not knowing : the Ngarrindjeri dilemma', Life Writing, vol 7, no 3 , pp 245 - 258.
- Rowse, T. (2009), 'Official Statistics and the Contemporary Politics of Indigeneity', Australian Journal of Political Science, vol 44, no 2 , pp 193 - 211.
- Rowse, T. (2009), 'The Ontological Politics of 'Closing the Gaps'', Journal of Cultural Economy, vol 2, no 1-2 , pp 33 - 48.
- Rowse, T. (2009), 'The Reconciliation Barometer and the Indigenous imaginary', Australian Policy Online, .
- Rowse, T. (2007), 'Lands of confusion', Australian Policy Online, .
- Rowse, T. (2006), 'The public occasions of Indigenous selves: three Ngarrindjeri autobiographies', Aboriginal History, vol 30 , pp 187 - 207.
- Rowse, T. (2006), 'Modernism, Indigenism and War: a comment on The Black Swan of Trespass', Australian Cultural History, vol 25 , pp 27 - 56.
- Rowse, T. and Mitchell, D. (2005), 'From social issue to social policy; engaging professionals and the public', Australian Journal of Social Issues, vol 40, no 1 , pp 155 - 180.
- Rowse, T. (2004), 'Indigenous autobiography in Australia and the United States', Australian Humanities Review, .
- Rowse, T. (2004), 'Queenslands exceptional approach to cross-race marriage?: a reply to Katherine Ellinghaus(2003)', Aboriginal History, vol 28 .
- Rowse, T. (2002), 'McClure's 'mutual obligation' and Pearson's 'reciprocity' - can they be reconciled', Australian Journal of Social Issues - April 2002, vol 37, no 3 , pp 263 - 276.
- Rowse, T. (2003), 'Curtin and labor's full employment promise', From Curtin to Coombs: war and peace in Australia, Curtin University of Technology.
- Rowse, T. (2002), ''The responsive public servant': Coombs the man, Coombs the report', Australian Journal of Public Administration, .
Professor Rowse is available to be a principal supervisor for doctoral projects
|Title:||Development, Governance and Indigenous People: Foregrounding the LNG Precinct Case in the Kimberley|
|Field of Research:|
|Title:||Relationships Between Officers and Other Ranks in the Australian Army in the Second World War|
|Field of Research:||HISTORY|
|Title:||Perceptions, Impressions and Frames: Political Actors on the Stage of Human Life|
|Field of Research:|