- About OSE
- BOT Resolutions
- Strategy and Engagement Committee
- Management Information and Statistics
- Planning and Review
- Business Glossary
- UWS Data Gateway
- 2014 Senior Management Conference
- 2013 Executive and Deans Retreat
- 2014 Quality Forum
- Contact Us
The Office of Strategy and Engagement (OSE) administers a number of national and institutional based surveys targeted to students, staff, employers and the community. The results are used to both prove and improve quality learning, teaching and its support of UWS. The survey team is managed by the Survey Manager, Belinda de Jong
To view details for a particular survey browse the options below.
Learning and Teaching
Student Satisfaction Survey
The UWS Student Satisfaction (SS) Survey gathers feedback from students on their experience at the University. It covers student perceptions of teaching, learning, student administration, student services, the Library, IT services, learning sources, facilities and food. There are a total of 86 items which are ranked on both importance and performance.
The survey, which is conducted every two years, targets a representative sample of approximately 8000 undergraduate and postgraduate (coursework) students.
The survey was conducted at UWS for the first time in October 2004, replacing the earlier Through Students Eyes and First Year Experience Surveys. Results of the SSS have been analysed by organisational units with responsibilities in the main service provision areas covered by the survey, leading to the targeting of development and improvement strategies.
Surveys, results and actions taken:
- Student Satisfaction Survey Questionnaire - 2011 (PDF, 39.1 KB) (opens in a new window)
- UWS Student Satisfaction Report (SSS) - 2011 (PDF, 906 KB) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
Australian Graduate Survey
The Australian Graduate Survey (AGS) is a national survey which includes the Course Experience Questionnaire (CEQ) and Graduate Destination Survey (GDS). The AGS is administered by Graduate Careers Australia (opens in a new window) (GCA).
The CEQ measures student satisfaction of their course experience at the university and the GDS consists of questions about graduates' work or further study and salary.
All graduating student are highly recommended to participate in AGS. The findings of the survey will help the University improve on areas where improvement is needed. The survey data is also used by students and their advisers for career and study choices; by higher education institutions for future planning; and by employers when developing recruitment policies and programs. Results of these previous surveys, as well as information concerning graduate employment and starting salaries, are available on the GCA website (opens in a new window).
All Australian higher education institutions participate in this survey on annual basis. The survey targets all students who have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate course work degree. Institutions use three core and up to three optional scales.
Download a copy of the Australian Graduate Survey 2013 (AGS) (PDF, 204.94 KB) (opens in a new window).
Student Feedback on Units Survey
The UWS Student Feedback on Units (SFU) Survey gathers feedback from students on the individual units of study in which they are enrolled each semester. The SFU Survey comprises 13 items relating to unit quality including content and relevance, assessment, learning environment, learning experience and outcomes, and workload. As well as ranking each item, students are invited to comment on 'best aspects' and 'needs improvement' in the unit.
At UWS, SFU Survey reports are available in August for semester 1 and in January for semester 2. The University provides three sets of reports.
- UWS Summary report - this report provides a summary of the results at the School level for each SFU Survey item for the first and second half of the respective year. The report also includes an analysis for the year of the 'best aspects' and 'needs improvement' comments for UWS.
- School Traffic Light report - this report presents the results for each unit in the School that has been surveyed covering; surveys issued, surveys returned, unit response rate and the mean score for each item which are colour coded to more easily show the performance of each unit in the respective school during the survey period. Trend data has also been provided at the School level for the last three years along with an analysis of the 'best aspects' and 'needs improvement' comments for the school.
- Individual unit report - contains the results for each unit by item compared with the overall UWS mean score, the School mean score along with trend data for the unit for the last few years. The report also shows the number of surveys returned and the response rate for the unit. At the end of each report all the 'best aspects' and 'needs improvement comments' are listed.
The UWS report for the year 2013 can be found below. This report includes the survey questions:
- Student Feedback on Units - Results 2013 (110 KB) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
For further information about the conduct of the SFU survey for Unit Coordinators, please refer to the following page - "SFU Information for Unit Coordinators" (opens in a new window) or for information provided to students on the completion of the SFU, "SFU Information for Students" (opens in a new window). For any other information please contact the Survey Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Belinda de Jong, (opens in a new window) Survey Manager
Student Feedback on Teaching Survey
The survey comprises 31 items grouped into nine dimensions of teaching with two open ended questions and a teaching staff member self-evaluation survey. The report provides a mean score for each item, with comparisons against overall UWS, school and individual teacher self rating. The report also provides a list of comments made by students grouped into 'best aspects' and 'needs improvement'.
At UWS, SFT survey results are confidential and only made available to the relevant teaching staff member at the end of the semester via email.
- UWS SFT Survey (PDF, 26.87 KB) (opens in a new window)
- UWS Staff Member Self Rating survey (PDF, 21.7 KB) (opens in a new window)
To order your SFT survey forms, complete the online request form (opens in a new window).
For further information about the SFT survey, please contact the Survey Team at email@example.com or contact Trish Davies, Quality and Evaluation Administration Officer.
Commencing Student Survey
The survey and results are available from Stephen Butcher, Senior Manager, Information and Analysis.
Postgraduate Research Experience Questionnaire
The current PREQ survey consists of 28 items and is made up of the following:
- Intellectual climate
- Skills development
- Thesis examination process
- Clarity of goals and expectation
- Overall satisfaction
Download a copy of the Australian Graduate Survey 2013 PREQ (PDF, 244.14 KB) (opens in a new window).
Research Student Satisfaction Survey
The survey is conducted every two years. The results from the 2013 survey can be accessed below
Research Student Satisfaction 2013 Final survey results (PDF, 432Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
Research Student Satisfaction 2013 Results by school (PDF, 158 Kb) (opens in a new window) (staff login required)
For further information please contact Stephen Butcher, Senior Manager, Information and Analysis.